February 21st is my parent’s 34th wedding anniversary. Pretty awesome, right? It also happens to be my Recipe ReDux day. This month’s Recipe ReDux challenge is to show my “favorite healthy chocolate combo recipe”. I must say that I definitely took some liberties with this challenge because what I created is not really “healthy”. BUT, my homemade Peppermint Patties only have 5 ingredients and they don’t contain any additives… not to mention that they are my mom’s absolute FAVORITE candy. With the combination of Valentine’s Day, my parent’s wedding anniversary, and my Recipe ReDux chocolate challenge, it seemed only fitting to make this delectable treat. And I’m a big believer in indulging every once in a while, so go ahead and make these Peppermint Patties as a weekend treat!
Makes 8-12 Patties
2 cups powdered sugar
½ teaspoon mint oil (I found this at Whole Foods)
3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of water
1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine the powdered sugar, mint oil, vegetable oil, and water in a bowl and mix. You may have to use your hands to mix evenly.
- Separate sugar mixture into 2-3 inch discs (as pictured below). Lay out on a baking sheet or cutting board and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After an hour, place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds, then stir. Keep microwaving in 30-second increments until the chocolate is melted. It should take about 1.5 minutes total.
- Line a baking sheet with wax/parchment paper. Take each sugared ball and dip into the melted chocolate (I used a spoon to make sure it stayed together). Then place the chocolate covered filling on the parchment paper. Repeat with each sugar ball.
- Refrigerate the finished peppermint patties for at least 30 minutes. The chocolate should be solid when they are ready to eat!