Okay, honest moment… I do cook a lot, but I don’t have the time or energy to make something new every night. I have a signature “go-to” meal when I’m pressed for time and lacking motivation, and it’s this delicious Veggie & Quinoa Quesadilla with Lime Slaw. I almost always have most of these ingredients on hand, so I whip this together in 20 minutes several days each week (I actually just ate it for dinner before writing this post). Because I’ve heard from many of you that you like my simple approach to food and nutrition, I figured I should share my easiest meal. Whip this Quesadilla up for any Meatless Monday and everyone will be pleased!
P.S. This meal will be one of the video recipes in my new program: The Athlete Nutrition Plan! Click the button below to find out more about the plan.
Makes 2 Quesadillas
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small sweet potato, chopped into cubes
2 teaspoons Chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 small yellow squash, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Chipotle Chili seasoning
1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 whole wheat tortillas
1/3 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- In a bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, sweet potato, 1 teaspoon of chili powder and salt. Stir to mix. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the quinoa and water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat a frying pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil, zucchini and yellow squash. Sautee 5-7 minutes or until the zucchini is tender. Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder and Chipotle Chili and stir. If needed, season with salt.
- In a bowl, combine the thinly sliced cabbage, olive oil and juice of 1/2 a lime. Stir to combine.
- If you have a Foreman grill or quesadilla maker, turn them on now. Lay the tortilla out flat. Layer one side with cheese, quinoa, zucchini mixture, sweet potatoes and an extra sprinkle of cheese. Fold the tortilla in half.
- If you don’t have a Foreman grill or tortilla maker, heat skillet over medium heat. Place the folder tortilla on the Foreman, quesadilla maker or skillet and grill until the tortilla starts to brown and get crispy. It should take about 5 minutes.
- Once the tortilla is brown and crispy on each side, remove from the pan. Open up the tortilla and pile in the Lime Slaw. Feel free to add any of the other optional toppings too!